Re: Lightened flywheel

Subject: Re: Lightened flywheel
From: Marc Sayer <marcsayer@home.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 19:10:48 -0700
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Les and I are also working on some trick CNC
milled lightened stock flywheels. These will be based on my old L series
designs. The original L series flywheels weighed as much as 28 pounds. I was
able to get them down to under 13 lbs. These have been running on the street and
track for years with no known failures. I don't know what the Roadster final
specs will be yet, nor a price, but They should be near the L series versions, I
think. And prices should run somewhere between $400 and $500. These were not
only very light and strong, they also had very low inertia, lower than their
actual weights would have indicated. This was because of the targeted weight
removal possible with CNC milling. CNC milling also let us cost effectively
radius all machined corners, which greatly increased strength. We are also
looking at simply making this design from scratch in steel too. A steel or iron
flywheel is always a better choice for the street as there are problems with
aluminum with street usage. Les will let you all know more when we get further
along with the project.

--
Marc Sayer
82 280ZXT