Re: Oil Testing Results

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil Testing Results
From: Marc Sayer <marcsayer@home.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 22:08:39 -0700
They don't, at least not directly.

But ask yourself this. If a "normal" magazine can't make it on it's OTC sales
and subscriptions, and needs money from advertisers just to survive, than how
can a publication that does all sorts of additional testing and covers nearly
the entire consumer product market, both of which add lots and lots of extra
costs to their operation (at least to do it right would) afford to do without
it? And where or how does CRM replace that "lost" advertising income? CRM does
the same things in many cases that UL and the auto insurance industry do.
Assuming they do it right, it costs CRM just as much to do this as it does for
anybody else, and those other testing industries need lots of outside income. So
how can CRM afford all that and the costs of publishing a glossy unless they are
taking in other moneys?

Are they directly beholding to companies that run ads in their publication? No.
Do they owe someone someplace for some sort of supplementary income? I have to
believe they do. What they do is far, far more costly than publishing a simple
product-oriented, market-specific magazine (like a car magazine or a home
improvement magazine) and someone has to be paying for it. The fact that I never
am told who is paying for it, and instead am lead to believe they do all this
out of their altruism, makes me *very* skeptical. Also their frequent
off-the-wall conclusions often lead me to believe something is directing their
actions. Anyone loves them so much they want to prove me wrong, great. I'd love
to see just exactly where all their money comes from.

--
Marc Sayer
82 280ZXT