RE: 1600 R engine

To: "Autox" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 1600 R engine
From: "Pam & Paul Bauman" <plhbauman@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 20:03:02 -0700
>I would like to know if there is a way to get more power out of the R
engines by putting in a bigger cam.

Deena,

Make sure it's tuned and the engine is performing to the specs.  That's my
best suggestion. The engine is designed to give the best all-around
performance. A new cam will equal a possible gain in higher RPM performance
but a loss in the lower ranges. The R-16 is a hell of a motor. 90+ HP,
Dependable as any engine ever made.  Then the car is designed around that
powerplant with the gearing just about perfect to maximize the engine's
performance characteristics.

Quite a few have altered their engines by increasing the displacement to 2
liters.  I can't say if the modification brought  an equal amount of driving
pleasure in return. After driving a 1600 on a curve ridden mountain road,
flat out, I felt the car met and surpassed the designer's goals.

Victor
70 SRL 31113136

I agree with victor. Tune it up and leave it alone! You may not be able to
outrun a Boxter or TT, but roadsters turn heads like few other cars around.
The stock tune has more than enough 'gofast' to scare the daylights out of
me when I get stupid, and besides, the head-turning quotient is much higher
when people can see you go by :)

Paul Bauman
Westminster, CA
67 1600