Re: Owning a roadster in California may become illegal

To: 9laser3@bright.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Owning a roadster in California may become illegal
From: SLBESQ@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 14:23:34 EST
In a message dated 03/04/2003 10:44:05 AM Pacific Standard Time,
9laser3@bright.net writes:

> I know that by 1968 roadster had aquired smog pumps and in '70 had the
> fuel vapor recovery system, but were the earlier ones subject to any
> polution standards when they were new?  What will California use as a basis
> to test against?
>
> Paul

paul and everyone

they likely won't be illegal, but they may be required to have all the smog
equipment present at the time of manufacture.

the 67.5 (at least) had only PCV.  when i used to have to get my car smogged
(early 90's), this was problematic.  the book says "PCV,"  which stands for
"positive crankcase ventilation."  my car being stock at the time had the
requisite vent in top of the valve cover, with hose to the air filter
element.  the problem arose when the idiot at the smog test station began
looking for a valve.  he (and others i approached) equated "PCV" with "PCV
valve."  mine had no valve, and none i've seen have a valve, just the vent.
no independent smog station would certify my car.  finally, the nissan dealer
in studio city tested it and it passed.  they handed me my certificate and
told me never to bring my car there again, and not to send any buddies with
roadsters there either.

next time i am required to smog the car, if ever, i will take with me the
picture of the engine compartment as shown in the article in Road & Track at
the time.  maybe that will help.

67.5MIZU, with solexes and only a K&N filter on the vent.