Re: Owning a roadster in California may become illegal

To: kogi <datjunky@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Owning a roadster in California may become illegal
From: Tom Hendricksen <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 15:17:41 -0800
Kogi,

That is a good idea, but unfortunately it has been around for a long time.
When I was a
teenager, before I purchased my 68 2 Liter new, my father sold cars and later
manages
sales for a Lincoln dealership here in Portland, Oregon.

My father never allowed it, but one of the managers allowed California
residents to
register their Lincoln's at his home address, thus avoiding both the California
sales tax
(Oregon has a 0% sales tax) and California licensing fees, which were
considerably higher
than $10.00/year as they were in Oregon at that time (I think Oregon is now
$15.00/year).   If you get caught you will be in real trouble, and a car that
is always
running around within a limited area is likely to get caught.  The officer will
not like
your California drivers license with an out of state license on the car.  I
suspect
collector cars within 45 years old will become targets of police officers
looking for a
good bust.

Washington State had the same licensing problem next door to Oregon and the
fine was very
large if a Washington licensed driver was caught driving ANY car with Oregon
plates.  If
I remember correctly an Oregon car that was in Washington a lot with an Oregon
licensed
driver was requested to purchase some kind of sticker from Washington DMV.

Tom
69 2000
Portland