Re: Owning a roadster in California may become illegal

To: datsunmike <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Owning a roadster in California may become illegal
From: Thomas - Sweden <csp311@telia.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 00:30:54 +0100
That's not a problem with old cars and catalysts
as long as you dont run leaded fuel (if you can
still find any). Most high performance cars runs
on rich mixture and the cat likes that. If it runs
too lean you will get more NOX and probably
hole in the pistons later. A high flow cat does not
"steal" any hp either. An oxygen sensor with
fuel injection will make it run cleaner but it's not
necessary. We now have catalysts on lawnmovers,
chain saws and all sorts of 2 and 4 stroke engines.
The only thing I dont like about them is that it's
difficult to get a turbocharged engine to spit
flames from the tailpipe during gearchanges.

Thomas