Engine swap for a '68

Subject: Engine swap for a '68
From: Hoover <audelaaz@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 19:30:51 -0700
Now that we're down a few project cars, it's time to turn our attention
to our '68 rolling chassis.  This baby was pretty much stripped by the
PO for parts sold on E-Bay.  Good solid body with a creased front fender
and some rear end damage, but overall in good condition.  No interior,
no steering wheel, no dash; everything that could be sold has been
removed.

So, I figure she's a good candidate for a litte customizing project.
 I'd like to do an engine swap, and have heard that the L series works.
I've seen plenty of these motors for sale locally (or reasonably close)
and with the Zs, I'm gaining some familiarity with the engine type. I
tried the archives for some possibilities but they're down, so I looked
for sites on the web. I'ts my understanding the the L series works well
but require modifications to the cross member and I'm not sure I have
the knowledge/experience to deal with that.

Are there any swaps that don't require chopping into the car, or that
can be done by a novice?  I'd really like to go with something that has
a little better parts availabililty, and that is carburated.  Maybe I'm
asking the impossible ;)

Charlotte Hoover
'63 SPL310 1500
'64 SPL310 1600