Re: Engine swap for a '68

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine swap for a '68
From: James Ross <jross@corporatemontage.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:03:21 +0800
Just a note on L series engines
The L20b (not to be confused with the L20 6 cyl) is quite a bit taller
than the L16 and L18 and is more difficult to fit into a roadster unless
you are going for the pro-stock look with a big bug catcher on the bonnet.
The problem is with the position of the oil pump, and it will interfer
with something (cant remember with what off the top of my head).

The L20b is not the engine of choice as the cylinder walls are quite a
bit thinner than the L18's and cant be bored to get a nice square
stroke/bore.

I have a CA18DE fitted in my 310, and find it is a pretty good little
unit, small and easy to fit which cant be said about the sr20 and Fj20
(although i'm sure i'll be told different), with ~100hp at the wheels.

Regards,
James