Re: [Roadsters] Dwell of 37 degrees - are my points shot?

To: nmleeds@mindspring.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Dwell of 37 degrees - are my points shot?
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 21:09:24 EDT
Could be the rubbing block is worn out and you need new points.

keith

In a message dated 8/18/2008 2:33:20 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
nmleeds@mindspring.com writes:

Still  adjusting the car after the long road trip and I'm starting to  wonder
what's up with my points.  So here's the problem -- above 4500  rpm's, under
any load, I'm getting the chinese fireworks out of the back of  the tailpipe.
My thought: maybe I don't have enough dwell; not enough dwell  => not enough
magnetic field => weak spark.  Right? So I go to  check my dwell and it's a
sorry 37 degrees. My attempts to bring it up to  the 49-50 in spec. are
rewarded with a car that doesn't start at  all.

Who says this means that my points are shot; or, more  specifically, that my
foot is so shot that the geometry can't both give me  enough dwell, and
enough separation for a really nice spark.

I know  this means that I should be going away from points and condensers and
buy  an electric system, but I'm a poor, out of work, attorney with  student
loans and an expensive dry cleaning bill who can't afford the  upgrade just
yet.

Nathaniel Leeds
'69 2000  SU's

deal here.