Re: [Roadsters] It won't start....

To: "Eddie" <eddietude@socal.rr.com>, "Datsun Roadster List"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] It won't start....
From: "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 23:20:12 -0500
Eddie,

1.  Yes.
2.  Don't know about an H20.  On the R16 there is a raised "line" cast into
the timing case; on the U20, there is a pointer cast into the timing case
cover.
3.  At the Number One terminal on the distributor, yes.
4.  Yes.  Opening the points is what causes the spark.

That said, in a stock configuration. Number One terminal on the distributor
is at about the 10 o'clock position when viewed from the passenger side.
The rotor turns counter-clockwise, one-quarter turn per half a crankshaft
revolution.  The firing order is 1-3-4-2.

As Gordon pointed out, if the distributor drive gear is installed 180
degrees out of phase, or if the cam in the distributor is 180 degrees out of
phase, the car will not fire.  If this is the case, swap the 1 and 4 plug
wires, and the 3 and 2 plug wires, and the engine should fire.  The U20
distributor has two different-size advance springs (in non-smog
configuration).  The heaver spring with the squared-off end connects to the
distributor weight whose pin does into the longer slot in the cam.  I have
no idea what an R16 or H20 distributor spring arrangement looks like, and
the Nissan shop manual doesn't show the R16 arrangement as it does the U20
arrangement.

I hope that helps.

Gary