fot

Re: composit leaf springs

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: composit leaf springs
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@spitfire.cs.utah.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 16:08:04 -0700
A while back, Tim Suddard, of Grassroots Motorsports fame, had Vette Products
work on some 'glass springs for the transverse rear Spitfire spring.  One of
the problems they had was that the spring was basically TOO springy.  Given
that it didn't have the damping friction of the individual leaves sliding
against one another, they found that the new spring, while a substantial*
weight savings, overworked the shocks.  They've not pursued it further, that
I know of, but I have not forgotten about it.  AnyDayNow....

mjb.

 * Here substantial is somthing like 15 pounds.  That's about 1% of the weight
   of my soon to be finished autocross Spit.