fot

Re: trailer towing

To: AA00727@AOL.COM
Subject: Re: trailer towing
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 23:34:49 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 12 Aug 1998 AA00727@aol.com wrote:

> I am considering the purchase of a Spitfire racer and will need a trailer &
> tow vehicle. Advice received so far has been that a dual axel trailer towed by
> a full size pick-up would be the safe way to go. Do any of you tow with
> something smaller like an S-10 or Ranger? If so how has it worked out for you,
> and would you recommend such a set-up?
>  Gary

Gary, it depends somewhat on the weight of the trailer and the load
rating of the tow vehicle. I special-ordered my '91 Ford Explorer with
full trailer towing package. It's rated at around 2900 lbs. only because
I was stubborn enough to want a 5-speed manual transmission. (You get
more like a 5000 lb. tow rating with the automatic.) The Explorer has
always been able to pull well over that 2900 lbs without incident (i.e.,
Subaru GL sedan on my outrageously heavy single-axle trailer with
non-working brakes!).

I agree that a dual-axle trailer is probably much better (but my
single-axle was really cheap and overbuilt even though homemade), and a
full-size pickup would probably pull it more easily, but I don't think
it's absolutely necessary. Nowadays, it's probably not too hard to find a
good used S-10, Ranger, or similar SUV that was built with a trailer
towing package. (Do stay away from the four-cylinder Ranger though;
towing is a bit of a strain on those!)

That's my personal experience, FWIW.

--Andy