fot

RE: trailer towing

To: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Subject: RE: trailer towing
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 11:10:33 -0400 ()
On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Bill Babcock raised some interesting points:

> I'm pulling a dual axle trailer and wish I wasn't. If I had my druthers
> I'd get a lightweight aluminum trailer to fit my TR3. I think my trailer
> weighs more than my car. You can easily overkill on trailers and it
> doesn't add much safety.

My prime thought in expressing my own desire for a dual-axle trailer is
just the added security of the two extra wheels and tires. It's not
happened to me yet, but I worry about what would happen if one of the two
(total -- single axle) tires blew on my trailer. But then I don't know if
a dual-axle trailer would handle a blowout much better?

> ...I'm currently using a Tahoe to pull,
> but as soon as I get it finished with the resto I'll be using a 1949
> Chevy. And then I'm definitely switching to a lightweight trailer.

The story was that the trailer I now use was homebuilt originally to carry
a Chevy Nova drag car. It's a single-axle, but that axle and the springs
appear to have derived from a late 1940s Chevrolet truck. The rest of the
trailer certainly qualifies for "heavy-duty." Realistically, it's more
than I need to haul Triumphs around, but it came in handy the few times
I've hauled bigger vehicles -- it's hauled cars as large as a Datsun 260Z
2+2 and a late 1960s Ford Bronco!

If "my ship ever comes in", my ideal towing package would be much like
what you're planning, though! I really want a late 1940s or early 1950s
Chevrolet (or maybe Ford) pickup or Suburban for hauling!

--Andy