fot

Re: trailer towing

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: trailer towing
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 12:33:13 -0600 (MDT)
I've towed a Spitfire on a single axle trailer, that was custom built for
the car.  Lightweight, easy to move by hand when unloaded.  I've done most
of the towing with a Jeep Cherokee, 4 liter six and auto trans.  No serious
problems so far.  Well, other than the trailer lights always need fixing,
the fenders have fallen off, the most recent somewhere near Omaha on the
BRIC/VTR trip last month.  And towing to Seattle a few years back one of the
tires went flat, and we almost lost a wheel bearing on the trip to Rockford.

Hmm, maybe I need to put more effort into trailer maintainence.  The Jeep has
a fairly short wheelbase and only weighs 2,900 pounds empty, and while rated
for 5,000 pounds of towing, I wouldn't want to tow much more than the Spit
and trailer combo I have now with it.  Now, my long wheelbase, 1 ton cargo
van with the 460 V8 is another matter.

mjb.