fot

Re: trailer towing

To: AA00727@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: trailer towing
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 16:35:39 EDT

>I am considering the purchase of a Spitfire racer and will need a trailer &
>tow vehicle. Advice received so far has been that a dual axel trailer towed
>by
>a full size pick-up would be the safe way to go. Do any of you tow with
>something smaller like an S-10 or Ranger? If so how has it worked out for
>you,
>and would you recommend such a set-up?
> Gary

Gary-

Warning...anecdotal recital to follow...

I used to pull a single axle traler with a Ford Econoline 240 six cylinder
three speed. The trailer weighed 980 pounds (at 1000 pounds you needed brakes)
with a TR3 full of spares and tools, total weight probably just over 3000. Not
a lot of poop from that combo, but we got to whatever track we headed to.

Things I learned-
Use stiff walled heavy duty truck style tires. Do not use wide soft sidewalled
radials (something like...oh say...Mickey Thompson Big Meats...) as they have
a detrimental effect on your heart rate when the trailer starts to "wag" the
truck!
There is a "black hole of trailer grief" on the Pennsylvania Turnpike around
the town of Pymatooning (sp?). It consists of a large "hole" that you drive
down one side and then back up tjhe other side. It is probably about a 3 mile
stretch of trouble. Those of you that have towed that way to Mid Ohio or
Nelson know the spot. Once I blew a tire going down the hill and took out
several of the reflectors in the median and about 20 feet of guardrail and
cable on the outside of the road (there's nothing beyond the guardrail but
drop off...) On another trip I saw a wheel/tire combo pass me going up the
same "hole", and it took a second to realize that the wheel looked all to
familiar...When going up the hill I never even knew that I had trouble and
there was little or no "drama" other than having to chase the darn wheel for a
half mile, then just putting it back on and continuing.
Those have been the only 2 instances of grief I have sufferred in probably
close to 50k miles of single axle towing, and in one instance a dual axle may
have helped and in the other it didn't matter. So, you pay your money and take
your chances...

<Anecdotal Mode OFF>...
        Nick in Nor Cal