fot

Re: Re: Technical Question-TR3A Axle Conversion to TR4

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re: Technical Question-TR3A Axle Conversion to TR4
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Mon, Aug 28 2000 18:37:29 GMT-0600
> It just so happens that I have a smallish pile of TR3 and TR4 rear axles in
> my barn. From some very quick measurements, it appears that the actual
> increase in width is about 3", or 1.5" on each side. But looking at my TR3A
> and my 3B, it appears that use of a TR4 axle underneath a TR3 body would be
> a tight fit without massaging the rear fenders of the TR3.
>
> Oh, and it would appear that the spring perches are in about the same
> position relative to the center of the axle housing, so it likely is a
> near-bolt-in operation?

I can confirm the bolt in arrangment for a TR4 axle under a TR3.  My early TR4
(CT288L) was originally a TR3 frame that was modified by the factory to TR4
specs.  All of the changes took place on the front suspension area where they
widened the frame slightly.  The rear suspension remained in tact with NO
changes.

Hey Andy, one other thing, whose 3B were you talking about....???!!!!

--
Brad

http://www.141.com/Triumphs
http://www.141.com/Dodge

1951 Dodge 1/2 ton B3B pickup (being restored)
1953 Mayflower TT29490LDL (almost a driver)
1961 TR4 CT288L (being restored)
1962 TR3B TCF1564L (some day)
1964 Spitfire 4 BFC25720L (of Belgian decent)