fot

Re: Technical Question-TR3A Axle Conversion to TR4

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Technical Question-TR3A Axle Conversion to TR4
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Mon, Aug 28 2000 20:52:19 GMT-0600
>> << I can confirm the bolt in arrangment for a TR4 axle under a TR3.  My early
>> TR4 (CT288L) was originally a TR3 frame that was modified by the factory to
>> TR4 specs.  All of the changes took place on the front suspension area where
>> they widened the frame slightly.  The rear suspension remained in tact with
>> NO changes.

>I guess I should have read Brad's message closer -- he says that the front of
>the
>chassis was widened. That would explain it.

On CT288L they used the stock TR3 frame and welded 2" wide channel to the
outside part of the frame at the front.  They angled the rear portion of this
channel to meet the frame where it angles wider behind the shock towers.  My
frame has all of the old TR3 bits still on it that weren't in the way of the
frame modification itself.  The engine mounting framework is somewhat different
than the later TR4's.  Also,  my TR4 still has the mounting pads welded on it
on the braces that run from the shock towers to towards the front lower part of
the frame.  Another tid bit, where each frame has a metal ID plate welded onto
it on the front cross member, mine has two.  One welded on top of the other.

--
Brad

http://www.141.com/Triumphs
http://www.141.com/Dodge

1951 Dodge 1/2 ton B3B pickup (being restored)
1953 Mayflower TT29490LDL (almost a driver)
1961 TR4 CT288L (being restored)
1962 TR3B TCF1564L (some day)
1964 Spitfire 4 BFC25720L (of Belgian decent)