fot

Post mortem on my see thru engine

To: "FOT LIST" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Post mortem on my see thru engine
From: "BOB KRAMER" <rkramer3@austin.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 22:34:07 -0500
For those that weren't there, I had the misfortune of breaking a rod in turn
one at Mosport. The guys behind me tell a story of a couple of fireballs and
parts flying about. It's a sad tale. I tore the engine down to the short block
tonight in situ. The number 3 rod broke at the oiling hole at about 6000 rpm,
ventilating the block on both sides. No signs of heat damage or spun bearings.
The piston did not hit the head as the rod cracked the liner all the way to
the top and the piston wedged itself in place. The blowup removed the oil
galley and I think the instantaneous loss of oil pressure may have saved some
parts by keeping metal particles from the oilways. The rod was a stock TR rod
that was magnafluxed, lightened and polished. The big end still spins
perfectly on the crank and the small end is just as free on the remains of the
piston. I'm hoping the crank is OK, but I'm not sure. It appears to me that
the rod broke, caught the camshaft and broke it, then took out one side of the
block and rebounded to take out the other. Anyhow, that's my tale of woe.
Bob Kramer
rkramer3@austin.rr.com