fot

Re: Sort of an LBC question... but not exactly....

To: "Michael D. Porter" <portermd@zianet.com>
Subject: Re: Sort of an LBC question... but not exactly....
From: "Timothy F. Murphy" <timmurph@execpc.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 22:17:53 -0600
The prosecution goes first and the Asst. D.A. asked the cop if he could
identify the defendant.  He couldn't.  When I
went into court I didn't introduce myself but just waited until the case was
called and then walked up to the defendants
table.  The judge asked if I was representing Mr. Murphy and I said that I was.
 He didn't ask who I was.  If he would
have of I would of said just that, that I was representing Mr. Murphy.  As I
was wearing a suit and tie, they just
assumed I was a lawyer representing Mr. Murphy.  What works in your favor is
one, most defendants don't wear a suit and
tie and lawyers do, and two, the judges don't all of the lawyers in the area.
On a number of occasions I have been
mistook for a lawyer representing myself  just because of that.
Tim