fot

RE: Brag Time (non-TR material)

To: <N197TR4@cs.com>, <kaskas@cox.net>
Subject: RE: Brag Time (non-TR material)
From: "Richard Taylor" <tarch@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:04:32 -0500
Paul Newman. A Budweiser encounter.

Four years ago at the HSR races in Daytona, a cluster of perhaps ten of us
were bench racing in the lobby of the hotel there next to the track. I asked
who wanted a beer. There were no takers but Newman said he would go with me
over to the little temporary bar set up for cocktail hour. I figured he
wanted something special but he ordered a Budweiser and I a Heinekens.
The bartender set both bottles on the counter and said to me, "That'll be
four dollars."
I said, "What about this guy? He doesn't have to pay?"
Newman drifted back to the group.
The bartender said, "Sir, do you know who that is?"
I said, "Well, do you know who I am?"
He studied me a moment and said, "No, who are you?"
"I'm the guy who drove his race car 400 miles down here from Atlanta."
Without batting an eye, the bartender said, "Good for you. That will be four
dollars please."

I took my $4.00 beer back to the motor-head congregation and told them the
story. Newman just looked at me quizzically and smiled.

It was one of those pleasant and light moments of little or no consequence.
You know, the kind we really live for.

Richard Taylor
TR-4  #196