fot

RE: Brake Fluids

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Brake Fluids
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 11:18:38 -0700
> And one final question for those who use silicone fluid: How
> often do you change it?

I've never changed mine, just to be changing it.  Of course, it hasn't all
been in my TR3A for over 15 years, I've had the system open several times to
replace hoses & seals.  But I've still not seen any indication that silicone
ever rots the way glycol does.

FWIW, I switched both my motorhome and an old Chevy to silicone without
cleaning out the old glycol ... they both worked fine.  Never had another
hydraulic problem on either of them.  When I sold it, the Chevy was over 20
years old, estimated 250,000 original miles on it (probably 150,000 with the
glycol/silicone mix), still had the original seals on 3 corners and original
hoses on all 4.

Randall