fot

RE: Brake Fluids

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Brake Fluids
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 13:33:46 -0700
> You wuz lucky. Must have been neoprene or butyl everywhere to
> begin with. If
> any bits had been natural rubber you would have had black gum where the
> parts used to be.

Actually, I originally switched to silicone because I was using natural
rubber (only thing available at the time as far as I knew) and American-made
DOT 4 was eating them.

There may have been some formulations of DOT 5 where the additives were
incompatible with natural rubber (as, I believe, the additives to DOT 4 were
the problem too), but the silicone itself is harmless to natural rubber ...
actually helps preserve it.  Nowadays, all the brake rubber seems to be SBR
or whatever, so it's no longer a problem either way.

Randall