fot

RE: 225hp

To: "'joe dirt'" <oldskooling@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: 225hp
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 16:40:40 -0700
As always, engines are pretty dynamic critters and making one parameter
change without optimizing for it doesn't generally do much. Like sticking a
nicely flowed intake manifold on a stock head.

Long rod engines with everything else optimized are bound to perform better
than short rods. Ricardo said that back at the turn of the century. Longer
dwell at the top and bottom of the stroke, smoother piston acceleration, and
the potential for light piston weight all favor long rods. I can't think of
a thing that's good about short rods except that the engines can be shorter.