fot

Re: 225hp

To: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Subject: Re: 225hp
From: Michael Porter <portermd@zianet.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 10:51:28 -0600
Bill Babcock wrote:

>But one lesson that YOU learned is that bigger ports aren't necessarily
>better. Possibly if you can change the other tuning factors to take
>advantage of the increased velocity, you might have a gain.

And, this might be one of the reasons why two (or more) small intake
valves generally produce more power than a single intake/single exhaust
bathtub style chamber.  High velocity combined with equivalent volume to
a single larger port (although port angle--particularly with a pent-roof
chamber--has something to do with the flow).  I've always had the
feeling that additional velocity is good for mixture turbulence, but
there're compromises to be made when one only has one intake valve per
cylinder to work with. That may be why there were so many experiments
with long ram intakes in `60s engines.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....