fot

RE: 225hp

To: "'Bill Babcock'" <BillB@bnj.com>,
Subject: RE: 225hp
From: "Richard Taylor" <tarch@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:44:21 -0400
Bill,
I still can't see it.
We agree that at TDC and BDC connecting rod length makes no difference in
piston stroke length. At 90 degrees crank rotation the piston is half way
through its stroke no matter what the length of the connecting rod. So at
the cardinal points there is no difference made by rod length. Consequently
the mystery durations must happen between the cardinal points. Right? Now
let's look at say 10 degrees of rotation of the crank shaft. The length of
the vertical vector at the crank must equal the vertical vector at the
piston no matter what the length of the rod, right? Inasmuch as there are no
horizontal components to the movement of the piston, there are no resultant
vectors other than vertical. Therefore for each vertical increment of
movement in the crankshaft there is an equal increment of vertical movement
in the piston, no matter what the length of the connecting rod.
Barry's comments this morning about the increase in internal tangent forces
for the shorter connecting rods and decrease in weight both make sense to
me. But he, too, subscribes to the "lingering piston duration" created by
shorter connecting rods at the TDC.
I appreciate you patience. Just remember. I'm the guy who put his clutch in
with the bold markings "this side to flywheel" facing the transmission.
Richard
A. Einstein taught us that our old three dimensional world can be (is)
distorted by the forth dimension of time. I just never expected to find
evidence of it in my old TR motor.