fot

RE: 225hp

To: "'Richard Taylor'" <tarch@bellsouth.net>,
Subject: RE: 225hp
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 16:49:14 -0700
The easiest way to see it is to map the extremes with a piece of paper.
Using a the same stroke, map the position of the piston for the minimum
length rod to clear the crankshaft and one that is twice as long. You'll see
that the piston position, and therefore the piston speed is very different
between the two for each degree of rotation. The piston has to wind up
stopped at both top and bottom of the stoke. As it approaches TDC on the
power stoke, the high pressure gasses have longer to press against the
piston with a long rod engine than with a short one because the piston
position doesn't change much for a relatively large number of degrees of
rotation. There are also potential gas flow advantages.