fot

RE: 225hp

To: "'fot'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 225hp
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 06:22:45 -0700
> We agree that at TDC and BDC connecting rod length makes no difference in
> piston stroke length.

I'll agree with that.

> At 90 degrees crank rotation the piston is half way
> through its stroke no matter what the length of the connecting rod.

Not true.  The vertical distance from the crank pin to the wrist pin is shorter
throughout the stroke than at either TDC or BDC, because of the angle the rod
makes with the vertical.  So, the piston is below center with the crank at 90
degrees.  How much it's below depends on the rod length.

If the rod length were infinite, the angle would be 0 and the piston would be
halfway down.  With the rod length equal to the stroke, the rod is at a 30
degree angle to vertical when the crank is at 90 degrees, and so the vertical
component of the rod length is only cosine(30 degrees) or about .866 of the rod
length.

> A. Einstein taught us that our old three dimensional world can be (is)
> distorted by the forth dimension of time. I just never expected to find
> evidence of it in my old TR motor.

This is plane old Euclidean geometry.

Randall