fot

Re: [FOT] Air filter ("socks"?) for carb air horns?

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [FOT] Air filter ("socks"?) for carb air horns?
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@razzolink.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 08:26:00 -0700
I'm a fan of itg air filters.  They are a triple layer foam filter
designed for high flow with minimal air disruption.  They are the best
filter I have found for a minimal space in front of the air horn
application. There is probably an of the shelf back plate to fit a GT6
running SUs.  The air horn fits inside the filter and the back plate
mounts between the carb and horn base.

My TR3 with dual DCOEs on TWM manifolds is running a JC52/25 filter on a
28-JC-50 back plate and the shortest horns TWM makes to fit the small
space between the leading venturi and inner wing panel.  A TR6 running
DCOEs on a TWM manifold would take a JC100 series filter with a
36-JC-100 backplate.  I mention them because TR info for itg & TWM
manifolds have been dropped from catalogues these days.  Oh and a
'62-'65 Spitfire running dual SUs take a JC /40/40 on a 4-JC-40 back
plate.  Sorry none of these fits your car but they didn't list a
backplate size for a GT6 with twin SUs.

Scott Janzen wrote:
> My GT6, running twin SUs, has this very nice pair of aluminum air
> horns/stacks.  I've been running them open, but am concerned about the
> amount of grit in a typical track environment.  They end about 1" off
> the inside fender, so there is no room for an air box or traditional
> filters. Anyone aware of a product (foam/fabric) designed to fit over
> these, or should I just run cheesecloth with a ziptie?

That may keep large debris off the track from bending your SU needle but
it will not be kind to your cylinder walls.  Tying something around the
outside edge of your air horn is going to disrupt the air flow.  A rigid
frame sock that fits at the base of the horn and has enough space to
allow air to flow unimpeded around the edge of the horn is much better.

TeriAnn