fot

RE: [FOT] Air filter ("socks"?) for carb air horns?

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [FOT] Air filter ("socks"?) for carb air horns?
From: "Henry Frye" <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 14:46:02 -0400
Scott brings up a subject I am wrestling with at the moment.

Most serious racers teardown to refresh the engine every X number of
races, usually when a leakdown test shows it's time. I have been doing
so every off season. It is much more convenient for me, and the chance
of missing a race weekend is much less.

Running stacks sans air cleaners is a very common practice, but I have
always been concerned it reduces the life of the rings and valve seats.
But how much???

Does anybody have any hard data on how many hours/sessions/race weekends
before an unacceptable leakdown test happens, both with and without air
filters?

Yet another thing to keep track of...