fot

[FOT] Rear Axle Hub

To: a.r.gibson@bigpond.com, vintage.racer@comcast.net,
Subject: [FOT] Rear Axle Hub
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:57:51 EDT
Exactly!

Large puller is also suspect. I took these hubs to John Deere Axle
Engineering for examination (FMA). They confirmed what I surmised. The sharp
tool marks
on the backside almost suggest that they were designed to break in that area.
The good news is that they break in a conical shape, trapping the wheel on
the car. Only issue is a loss of power to the wheel.

Of course we know what happens if the axle breaks instead of the hub.

The "Southwick" axle is proven, does not require tedious shim adjustments,
and prevents damage of assorted body parts. A bargain....

Joe (A)