fot

Re: [Fot] Source needed for single-flare brake lines

To: BillB@bnj.com, hottr6@hotmail.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Source needed for single-flare brake lines
From: Fubog1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 08:05:55 EST
In a message dated 1/9/2007 8:12:00 PM Eastern Standard Time, BillB@bnj.com
writes:

Glen,
the 818 and 819 nuts and sleeves are not meant to adapt 45  degree flares to
37, they are part of a standard 37 degree flare connection.  I'm sure they'd
work with a 45 degree, but there's no good reason to use them  that way.

Interesting Bill, it's my understanding that this is the purpose of using
them... that the sleeve compresses/deforms enough to make up the slight angle
difference.
FWIW, this is how I plumb all my systems, been doing it this way for years,
with 0 problems. I use a Blue Point double flare tool (45 degree), &
carefully inspect each flare for any slight burr that is sometimes formed on
the  OD
between the 2 halves of the clamp. This is easily removed with a hand  scraper.
They're virtually "bulletproof" in service, in my experience.
Question- If these are designed to be used on a 37 tube end flare, then  what
would be the point of using them to begin with?
Uh oh, I hope this doesn't mean that I have to do a MAJOR recall  (:-)!
Thanks for the input,
Glen