fot

Re: [Fot] Source needed for single-flare brake lines

To: <Fubog1@aol.com>, <hottr6@hotmail.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Source needed for single-flare brake lines
From: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 08:35:43 -0800
I could certainly be wrong, it's happened once or twice before, but as I
understand it the sleeve is intended to apply even compression to the
flare without twisting it as happens with a single piece nut. Even if
you use a 45 degree flare this arrangement is superior to standard
double flares, but it doesn't really fit the parts, you're relying on
deformation to make it work. At any rate, when you use a 37 degree flare
you're supposed to use these pieces for all pipe connections. there are
one piece 37 degree nuts (I think they're called 817) but they are not
recommended and they are more expensive than the 818/819 combination.

As I recall there are other advantages to 37 degree flares, including a
tendency to stay undeformed after being made up. And the tools are
nicer.