fot

Re: [Fot] The garage mahal

To: <dmitchel@sbcglobal.net>, "'Mark J Bradakis'" <mark@bradakis.com>,
Subject: Re: [Fot] The garage mahal
From: "Don Carter" <don@carterdesignassociates.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:29:10 -0500
I can chime in some on this subject...I designed my garage about 8 years ago
and as my subdivision's chairman of the architectural control committee, I
only had to present a preliminary plan to get my 6 car garage approved by
saying it's a hobby shop and a three car garage.  It's 35 X 50 with a gabled
shaped mezzanine for parts storage.  I used double 8 foot tube fluorescents
end to end the entire length of the garage in about 4 rows.  This gives good
general light, but I still used two drop "trouble" lights on spring rewind
power cords using compact fluorescents bulbs that are located at each end of
the lift.  The 8 foot tubes give a good view (using the reflections) when
polishing or waxing any car, not to mention sanding prep for a new paint
job.  If I had it to do again I'd be sure to use 4' tubes with solid state
ballasts, because I had to install a good stereo to cover-up all the
ballasts' buzzing.

The 220 lift is wired from the ceiling like the re-coil trouble lights. I
used plug mold on all the work bench fronts that surround the car lift area
except for the rolling tool boxes.  Down in Houston, a shop is no good
unless it is air conditioned, so when my 5-ton home unit went out, I saved
it and had the bad coil replaced and put it on the top of my rest room and
fed the duct work around the perimeter of the garage up high using fresh air
intake from a roof mushroom.  Works great.  I can knock it down from a 100
degrees to 75 on a summer day in about 15 minutes.  With open shelving
around all sides except for the 18' door you can stand in just about one
spot and see everything.  I recommend that all large tools such as table
saws, drill presses, vacuums, small air compressors and the like, be on
wheels if at all possible.  One sure fact will always remain true...No
matter how big you make your garage, it will be too small after about
year....so just get used to it.

Don Carter, AIA

Carter Design Associates
6213 Skyline Dr., Suite 100