fot

Re: [Fot] The garage mahal

To: "Ken Gano palm top" <triumphs@consolidated.net>, "Friends of
Subject: Re: [Fot] The garage mahal
From: "David Kettler" <dkettler@powercom.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 22:07:00 -0500
Ken:

A number of years ago I built a 28'x60' shop.  I insulated and heat about
1/2 and the rest is storage.  I have a sliding door on the inside between
the two sections so I can move things in and out depending on what I'm
working on.  I used the hardware that's used for sliding barn doors.  I heat
it with a natural gas unit heater and it heats in no time.  I have to admit
the hot water in the floor would be a lot better than cold concrete, but I
don't use the shop every day, just turn on the heat when I need it.  I
insulated under the concrete before  I poured it and also put in a grade
beam of concrete around the perimeter which helps keep things stable.  I
also put some block on top of the slab so I can wash things out when needed.
I don't have a floor drain so everything is pitched toward the overhead
door.  I should have pitched the floor a little in the corners by the
overhead door, now the water tends to collect in these corners.  I drywalled
the walls and ceiling except for the first 4 feet off the floor which is
prefinished white metal siding.  This prevents me from putting a hole in the
drywall with a jack handle.  It would be pretty easy to replace one of these
panels if it were dented, etc.  I just installed some T8 fluorescent lights
and they have improved the lighting from the old fluorescents I used to
have.  One thing you may want to consider is putting in doors on both
ends/sides so you have an escape in the event of fire, etc.  Yes, I too
which it could have been bigger!

Dave Kettler