fot

Re: [Fot] The garage mahal

To: "Ken Gano palm top" <triumphs@consolidated.net>, "Friends of
Subject: Re: [Fot] The garage mahal
From: "Henry Frye" <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 06:31:56 -1000
Ken,

You got some great advice, for sure. Not sure where Babcock is coming from
giving a thumbs down on the lift, though! I doubt I would be enjoying racing
nearly as much without mine. Bill must be in better shape than me to want to
climb under cars. Must be all that stand up paddle boarding...   :-)

I went with the pre-engineered steel building, it was even made in your neck
of the woods. Mine's a Morton. Was significantly cheaper than having a
contractor build me a building. Here's what I learned about steel buildings.
They have come a long way on design and asthetics. Don't dismiss the idea
because you think they will be ugly. Don't skimp on roof insulation, it's loud
when it rains! Pay attention to the slope of the roof, if/when the snow load
slides off if is a pain to clean up.

Radiant in-floor heat is worth every penny spent. In New England a hot water
heater was not enough BTU's to heat my shop, I use an LP gas-fired wall
mounted furnace. I only insulated and heat half of my 36X38 building. No
reason to heat parts storage, IMHO.

I scored store shelving from a closed store in a strip shopping center. Very
strong, and the landlord was happy to have me remove it for free. Saved them
the expense of having it trashed.

Have fun!

Henry Frye
Via wireless handheld device