fot

Re: [Fot] I'm joining the SCCA. Good or bad?

To: "'Shawn Frank'" <my71spit13@yahoo.com>, "'Friends of Triumph'" <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] I'm joining the SCCA. Good or bad?
From: "Robert MacKenzie" <list@mackenzie.aero>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 13:03:19 -0600
Shawn:

Speaking only for myself; I feel an SCCA card is a good thing.  I have been
competing in SCCA Solo with two Spits for several years and recently went
through the same sort of questions you are asking.

The bottom line is a Spitfire 1500 can be a competitive solo car in F Street
Prepared [FSP].   That is a national class that has large entry numbers at
most SCCA National Tour, Championship and ProSolo events and you will need a
SCCA card to enter.   Safety requirements in solo are less stringent; you
should plan to install a basic roll bar with harness bar and a good 4 or 5
point harness. SA 2005 or 2010 helmets are needed but a HANS device is not.
[not yet?] Fuel cells and fire systems are also not required.

As for road racing in SCCA that is a different ball game.   A late spit can
run in the Grand Touring class as well as the Improved touring without huge
modifications like those in the Production class.  You will have to check
with your local chapter as to what classes they run in your region.

You will still require a full cage, fuel cell, racing seat, fire system,
HANS....ect.

All the information is in the new January 2013 GCR which is available for
download off the SCCA club racing page.

There is yet another option: SCCA Vintage Racing.   Again, you will have to
check with your local chapter as to what classes/races, if any, are run in
your region.  There is a separate SCCA Vintage Racing GCR.

My advice would be to mod the car for FSP solo and run as many events as you
can while doing some track days/driving schools.  Plan to attend Solo
Nationals in the fall!

Other folks on this list will be much more knowledgeable than I with respect
to other vintage clubs/series such as HSR or SVRA.

Feel free to contact me off line if you have any questions wrt SCCA Solo in
your Spit.

Robert MacKenzie
Austin Texas
'78 1500 (street)