fot

Re: [Fot] TR CHASSIS FATIGUE - A CAUTIONARY TALE

To: Joe Alexander <n197tr4@cs.com> s=q20121106; t=1357838102; bh=tfI4tseP/AxM4+JtIAKsTtmAqxbGPUIzZ3Ms9SF/+vI=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=WPa6jHfmLTvi7DYAh4o1rNMZ+2rVyneV4Kzb3+PfnMj9pUa3MI5dFeVK6wrqxn0X5 jVDaZrkhhXvGQaZZK6Tu46z2u8DWGI9Qosv3OC+yIHdbKTrAuKj0hsqJpnGAtIojnx x1NtC921mfX/QkE9wlJbZpIfBEHcmCLOJU1OWpG6qz9JoeSeGYNMNh07aoV9K7xgcy GcwQhuGEtd7w4laWb14ZQ3Rl8BPRt6OzxkNd0PBQE2cHn+XziAshjlflNR/YnooTP4 KgKo8dvXZDv5EA0sVi6Vqy9y/syjdZvGUtYMxI3ld+k3xvS0Ux/vbH2S3DN9WBd8ol JI3sNx/7Gh14g==
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR CHASSIS FATIGUE - A CAUTIONARY TALE
From: davehogye <dlhogye@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 17:15:01 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: fot@autox.team.net
I had to repair lower front suspension point cracks on my TR3 frame that were
not evident until I had it media blasted and started grinding on it, read
started grinding on it. The shock tower diagonals looked good too, until
blasting revealed pin holes on the lower end. A center punch went through the
rusty metal with ease. These frames rust from the inside out. Grinding
particles from the cutting of the diagonal gathered around the cracks in the
frame and only then did they became obvious. Had I not seen the pin holes, the
frame would have been painted and reassembled. Instead, I went through an
exhaustive process of strengthening and gusseting many areas of importance. I
even welded extra tubing inside the body outriggers creating more substantial
roll cage mounts. My car has been out of service since 1975, so that's a mere
15 years of use before this type of frame failure occurred and my car has only
lived in California.

Dave H.