fot

Re: [Fot] TR CHASSIS FATIGUE - A CAUTIONARY TALE

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR CHASSIS FATIGUE - A CAUTIONARY TALE
From: Glenn Franco <gaf3@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 13:41:14 -0500
I have fixed a number of these IRS frames and reinforced and welded them
back together.
For the most part you can still get the cruciform plates and the
outriggers pieces for the rear control arms. I always put a gusset top
and bottom in that area.
The biggest problem I have had of late has been cars with the tube shock
conversions or "Break Me Here Brackets".
They fracture and break off the shock/rear diff cross member.
Replacement cross members are very hard to locate.
I developed a brace to over come that and have installed it on many club
members cars.
My sonic test for a rusty frame is a good body shop pick hammer or
similar. Midwest and Eastern frames disintegrate at the sight of one of
those.
Cut out the rusty area and replace with suitable thickness flat sheet (
I use .085" sheet as original).
Glenn