fot

Re: [Fot] TR CHASSIS FATIGUE - A CAUTIONARY TALE

To: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR CHASSIS FATIGUE - A CAUTIONARY TALE
From: sherry robyn <sherryjimmy6116@att.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 11:15:23 -0800 (PST)
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
To:
fot@autox.team.net
Sent: Thu, January 10, 2013 10:27:39 AM
Subject: Re: [Fot]
TR CHASSIS FATIGUE - A CAUTIONARY TALE

I don't think anyone mentioned that
the IRS cars are notorious for weakness in
the mounts for the differential
and the brackets up front where the lower A arms
mount.  These usually fail
without the added stresses of racing.  I did a frame
off restoration of my
TR250 last year.  It has resided in Oklahoma (a relatively
dry state) and
been garaged for all but its first 6 years.  It body was
relatively rust free
as Triumphs go (solid floors, etc).  After repairing and
reinforcing the
usual problem areas, I noticed a  very small pinhole on the
bottom near the
center (called the T-shirt) area.  The thin metal was only a few
square
inches and may have been partially because it had scraped bottom there at
some point.  Since these frames rust from the inside,  I wonder how many are
out
there with thin metal, which has not yet rusted all the way through?  It
seems
that a visual inspection is not sufficient. Is there some sort of sonic
testing
device which could be used to check it over.
Larry

On 1/10/2013 5:47
AM, yellow04@tr4racer.com wrote:
> Good question.
>
> The ladder frames under
the TR2-TR4 seem to be much more rust resistant than
> the wishbone frames
under the TR4A-TR6. I have come across numerous ru
> project cars over the
years, and have seen plenty of rusted out TR3's and
> 4's with what appear to
be good frames, but I have never seen a rusty TR4A,
> 250 or 6 that did not
need extensive frame work. I should add I have come
> across plenty of nice
wishbone framed Triumphs sitting on frames in dire
> need of attention.

know the spring towers and cross members are different between the ladder

and wishbone frames, and I believe the newer wishbone frame design is more

robust. However, because of their propensity for rust, I'd venture a guess

that the wishbone framed cars share the probability of failure in the areas

Joe mentioned.
> Remember, the stess we put on these cars running them on
track with today's
> racing tires is way beyond what the designers ever
dreamed possible. You
> need to reinforce many key areas, keep the frame
clean, paint it with
> something that will not hide cracks, and be very
diligent with close

yellow04@tr4racer.com
<sherryjimmy6116@att.net>
> Subject: Re: [Fot] TR CHASSIS FATIGUE - A