fot

Re: [Fot] Caliper Rebuild

To: Michael Moore <mmoore@mtmcpafirm.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Caliper Rebuild
From: SCOTT JANZEN <sjanzen@me.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 07:46:50 -0400
Cc: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
I rebuild or inspect my calipers (girling 16P) probably twice a season. Get
stainless steel pistons, and the seal rebuild kits- I've been getting them
from Team Triumph. The SS pistons will not rust, clean up readily with a soft
application of scotch brite and brake cleaner so they'll last pretty much
forever. You are not terribly concerned about the condition of the bores, as
long as there is no rust or scale, as unlike a MC the piston slides on the
seal, rather than the seal sliding in the bore.  There is no need or point in
separating the caliper halves.
I got in the habit of regular rebuilds after one particularly hot weekend
where I loaded my car in the trailer after the last race, and unloaded to find
a puddle of fluid by the LF wheel. The seal had just cooked!

Sent from my mobile device