fot

Re: [Fot] Caliper Rebuild

To: EDWARD BARNARD <edwardbarnard@prodigy.net>, Michael Moore <mmoore@mtmcpafirm.com>, "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Caliper Rebuild
From: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 07:12:52 -0600
On 8/27/2014 6:19 AM, EDWARD BARNARD wrote:
> Yes, they can be rebuilt. The "O" rings are available from Moss for a small
> amount...pick-up a few. They are a weird, square cross sectional ring. The
> reason Moss and the shop manual says they shouldn't be opened is because there
> doesn't appear to be any recorded torque for the four bolts. Use good practice
> in torqueing these...I don't remember what diameter they are but torque them
> to the appropriate spec for that diameter bolt.
> -Ed-

If those o-rings aren't available, round ones would probably do (the
originals are likely EPDM or SBR), but their cross-sectional area would
have to be calculated from the originals, to properly fill the land,
with a little extra to provide for adequate compression to seal
properly.  The torques have to be in the archives somewhere, because
this topic has come up at least a couple of times before, albeit quite a
while ago.  Don't quote me (I could be having a senior moment), but the
figures that stick in my mind are 40 lb-ft for the smaller bolt and 66
lb-ft for the larger ones.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive