fot

Re: [Fot] DCOE setup on stock tr6

To: fot@autox.team.net, chris panayotti <chrispanayotti@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] DCOE setup on stock tr6
From: Robert Lang via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:34:46 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_699801_867147348.1573878886976

 Hi - Sounds like you have a vacuum leak. I'd put a vacuum gauge on the set=
up and tune your idle using that. If you're running a stock cam, you should=
 be able to pull more than 15 inches of vacuum, so try advancing the igniti=
on timing and balancing off the idle screws (not the mixture, the idle scre=
w) to get you idle down and still pull the vacuum.
If that doesn't help, double check your float levels - if the float level i=
s wrong you won't be able to get the carbs to work right.
Note that the idle jets do just about nothing after the throttle is off the=
 stop - after that you're on the mains. Sounds simple, but like nobody seem=
s to get that. 50F11 should be more than adequate idle jets.
Regarding the distributor - the timing needs to be ROCK SOLID. If it bounce=
s at all or if there are skips, you need to fix that first. You can't tune =
bad ignition with the carbs. :-)
Regarding timing, I've set up plenty of cars with 15 BTDC at idle. The tric=
k is to get about 32 or 33 degrees total advance at 3000 or 3500. How you g=
et there depends on how much mechanical advance your distributor makes - if=
 you have Lucas, there are several different numbers available.
Feel free to ping me off list.
Regards,Bob Lang

    On Friday, November 15, 2019, 7:52:12 PM EST, chris panayotti via Fot <=
fot@autox.team.net> wrote: =20
=20
 Hi all,=C2=A0
I ran across an archive on your site from a Robert Lang, looks like from De=
cember last year. So Taking a total shot in the dark emailing this. Anyway =
in the thread he talks about running triple DCOEs on a Canon manafold on a =
TR6 with stock cam and stock compression. I am trying to do the exact same.=
 He mentioned toward the end that he would be willing to share knowledge on=
 the jets and knowledge.
So here it goes, the main symptom I am running into currently is accleratio=
n off idle.=C2=A0 It starts up and idles pretty good with mixture screws al=
l out about 1.25 turns. But bumping the throttle at that point either load =
or no load bogs bigtime, bassically kills the engine if I hold it, even if =
I go very slowly. I did manage to get it to a point where it revs so so if =
I keep bumping it fast with no load, but with any load at all it bogs and d=
ies.=C2=A0 I've come to the conclusion my progression circuit is to blame a=
nd that operates off the idle jet, of which all are currently 50F11.
I've gone over all the valve timing with a fine toothed comb and verified a=
 stock cam by checking the lift. All valve gaps are perfect At .010".=C2=A0=
 I removed the vacuum retard from the distributor and am running it at 12de=
g BTDC right now, and the mechanical advance does work and brings it up to =
24ish deg.=C2=A0 It is a stock points distributor by the way.=C2=A0 I've re=
ad a few people mention that I need to upgrade that but others have success=
fully used it also. I've checked compression all are close and above 125psi=
.
Any help or insight would be GREATLY appreciated. I've been trying to get t=
his to run right for weeks. I keep crossing things off the list but still h=
aven't gotten it right. I'm still concerned about the distributor but it se=
ems well enough that it should run properly. I'm fairly confident it's a ca=
rb problem.
If you need any more info about my setup please ask
Thank youChris Panayotti_______________________________________________
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

@yahoo.com

 =20
------=_Part_699801_867147348.1573878886976

=3D"font-family:Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px=
;"><div></div>
vacuum leak. I'd put a vacuum gauge on the setup and tune your idle using t=
hat. If you're running a stock cam, you should be able to pull more than 15=
 inches of vacuum, so try advancing the ignition timing and balancing off t=
he idle screws (not the mixture, the idle screw) to get you idle down and s=
your float levels - if the float level is wrong you won't be able to get th=
v><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">Note that the idle jets do just ab=
out nothing after the throttle is off the stop - after that you're on the m=
ains. Sounds simple, but like nobody seems to get that. 50F11 should be mor=
e timing needs to be ROCK SOLID. If it bounces at all or if there are skips=
, you need to fix that first. You can't tune bad ignition with the carbs. :=
ata-setdir=3D"false">Regarding timing, I've set up plenty of cars with 15 B=
TDC at idle. The trick is to get about 32 or 33 degrees total advance at 30=
00 or 3500. How you get there depends on how much mechanical advance your d=
istributor makes - if you have Lucas, there are several different numbers a=
"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false">Feel free to ping me off list.</div><div dir=3D=
"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false"><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false=
iv><br></div>
       =20
81383eyahoo_quoted">
ans-serif;font-size:13px;color:#26282a;">
               =20
ayotti via Fot &lt;fot@autox.team.net&gt; wrote:
g, looks like from December last year. So Taking a total shot in the dark e=
mailing this. Anyway in the thread he talks about running triple DCOEs on a=
 Canon manafold on a TR6 with stock cam and stock compression. I am trying =
to do the exact same. He mentioned toward the end that he would be willing =
ere it goes, the main symptom I am running into currently is accleration of=
f idle.&nbsp; It starts up and idles pretty good with mixture screws all ou=
t about 1.25 turns. But bumping the throttle at that point either load or n=
o load bogs bigtime, bassically kills the engine if I hold it, even if I go=
 very slowly. I did manage to get it to a point where it revs so so if I ke=
ep bumping it fast with no load, but with any load at all it bogs and dies.=
&nbsp; I've come to the conclusion my progression circuit is to blame and t=
hat operates off the idle jet, of which all are currently 50F11.</div><div>=
 and verified a stock cam by checking the lift. All valve gaps are perfect =
At .010".&nbsp; I removed the vacuum retard from the distributor and am run=
ning it at 12deg BTDC right now, and the mechanical advance does work and b=
rings it up to 24ish deg.&nbsp; It is a stock points distributor by the way=
.&nbsp; I've read a few people mention that I need to upgrade that but othe=
_______________________________<br><a href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team.net"; re=
ttp://www.fot-racing.com" rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank">http://www.fot=
rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>A=
rchive: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive " rel=3D"nofollow" target=