fot

Re: [Fot] Shop Safety Question

To: Jason Sukey <jsukey@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Shop Safety Question
From: Bob Bownes -Seiri via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2021 18:39:45 -0500
Cc: FOT list <fot@autox.team.net>

--Apple-Mail-E5771CF0-CA2D-4D97-A460-F0181DA3CD1D
        charset=utf-8

Sounds a bit silly, but a broom. =20

Keeping the floor clean cuts down on slips and trips, which OSHA says are so=
me of the most common causes of liability claims.=20

Bi-focal safety glasses for those of us over a certain age. Keeps you from t=
aking them off to see better.=20

The usual assortment of fire extinguishers of course.=20

And a phone to call for help. :)

> On Jan 16, 2021, at 15:38, Jason Sukey via Fot <fot@autox.team.net> wrote:=

>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
> Paul,=20
> Beyond the "minimum code requirement" extinguisher's that get inspected an=
d tagged annually, I also keep a 2.5 gallon pressurized AFFF extinguisher an=
d a 2.5 gallon water extinguisher charged and ready at my shop.
>=20
> The township fire inspector recommend the AFFF for fuel and oil type fires=
, and he also stated it can be used to pre-treat a fuel spill while you clea=
n it up to reduce the chances of a fire starting.=20
>=20
> He also recommended the water extinguisher near my welding area to knock d=
own small flare ups.
>=20
> I also make it a point to never leave until any welding or grinding work h=
as cooled completely.
>=20
> I also disconnect the battery in vehicles during storage.
>=20
>=20
> When draining or filling a fuel tank, I roll the vehicle outside if possib=
le.
>=20
> Thankfully, I've never had a chance to test any of these items!
>=20
> Jason
>=20
>> On Sat, Jan 16, 2021, 1:32 PM Paul Ricco via Fot <fot@autox.team.net> wro=
te:
>> FOT,
>>=20
>> I have been lucky to work in some very well run industrial environments w=
ith world class safety equipment.  As we know, the stuff costs money and a l=
ot of people work without most of it in their own environments.
>>=20
>> We have been updating a lot of items in the areas that we work on car and=
 car parts.  It is fun to spend money on tools and equipment.  However, safe=
ty equipment is not always as fun.  Near where we live, two pretty smart peo=
ple have had fires damage their garages and parts of their houses before the=
 fire department could arrive.  While I was running large car dealerships an=
d body shops, I can tell you that fire extinguishers did need to be used fro=
m time to time.  Fortunately we had them and never needed to make a call to t=
he fire department, because the right things were in the right places.
>>=20
>> Therefore, we just upgraded all of our safety equipment.  Including:
>>=20
>> 1.  Splatter/spark screens for areas that we weld or grind
>> 2.  High quality US made fire extinguishers with plenty of capacity, incl=
uding mounting them in the the trailer for at the track.  Some fires can be s=
pread really quickly by hitting the with H20.  Generally speaking water will=
 not put out burning oil fire.  However, it will spread the burning oil all o=
ver really quickly.
>> 3.  Spark resistant blankets for use when we are welding in areas that th=
ings should be covered
>> 4.  Making sure all flammables are stored safely and away from areas that=
 could have sparks
>> 5.  New and updated smoke detectors, heat sensors and Carbon Monoxide mon=
itors where they can be used (not where we tune engines)
>>=20
>> Obviously common sense can prevent a lot of accidents.  Therefore, I thou=
gh it would be interesting to see what the group has done in their work area=
s.
>>=20
>> Does anyone have anything else that keep around that they feel is helpful=
 for shop area/garage safety?
>>=20
>> Paul Ricco
l.com
>>=20
>>=20
com
>=20
>=20

--Apple-Mail-E5771CF0-CA2D-4D97-A460-F0181DA3CD1D
        charset=utf-8

v dir=3D"ltr">Keeping the floor clean cuts down on slips and trips, which OS=
HA says are some of the most common causes of liability claims.&nbsp;</div><=
 of us over a certain age. Keeps you from taking them off to see better.&nbs=
6, 2021, at 15:38, Jason Sukey via Fot &lt;fot@autox.team.net&gt; wrote:<br>=
div dir=3D"auto">Paul,&nbsp;<div dir=3D"auto">Beyond the "minimum code requi=
rement" extinguisher's that get inspected and tagged annually, I also keep a=
 2.5 gallon pressurized AFFF extinguisher and a 2.5 gallon water extinguishe=
"auto">The township fire inspector recommend the AFFF for fuel and oil type f=
ires, and he also stated it can be used to pre-treat a fuel spill while you c=
lean it up to reduce the chances of a fire starting.&nbsp;</div><div dir=3D"=
 near my welding area to knock down small flare ups.</div><div dir=3D"auto">=
div><div dir=3D"auto">I also disconnect the battery in vehicles during stora=
"auto">When draining or filling a fuel tank, I roll the vehicle outside if p=
ir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sat, Jan 16, 2021, 1:32 PM Paul Ricco via=
 Fot &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team.net";>fot@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wr=
ote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;b=
order-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">FOT,<br>
I have been lucky to work in some very well run industrial environments with=
 world class safety equipment.&nbsp; As we know, the stuff costs money and a=
 lot of people work without most of it in their own environments.<br>
We have been updating a lot of items in the areas that we work on car and ca=
r parts.&nbsp; It is fun to spend money on tools and equipment.&nbsp; Howeve=
r, safety equipment is not always as fun.&nbsp; Near where we live, two pret=
ty smart people have had fires damage their garages and parts of their house=
s before the fire department could arrive.&nbsp; While I was running large c=
ar dealerships and body shops, I can tell you that fire extinguishers did ne=
ed to be used from time to time.&nbsp; Fortunately we had them and never nee=
ded to make a call to the fire department, because the right things were in t=
he right places.<br>
Therefore, we just upgraded all of our safety equipment.&nbsp; Including:<br=

1.&nbsp; Splatter/spark screens for areas that we weld or grind<br>
2.&nbsp; High quality US made fire extinguishers with plenty of capacity, in=
cluding mounting them in the the trailer for at the track.&nbsp; Some fires c=
an be spread really quickly by hitting the with H20.&nbsp; Generally speakin=
g water will not put out burning oil fire.&nbsp; However, it will spread the=
 burning oil all over really quickly.<br>
3.&nbsp; Spark resistant blankets for use when we are welding in areas that t=
hings should be covered<br>
4.&nbsp; Making sure all flammables are stored safely and away from areas th=
at could have sparks<br>
5.&nbsp; New and updated smoke detectors, heat sensors and Carbon Monoxide m=
onitors where they can be used (not where we tune engines)<br>
Obviously common sense can prevent a lot of accidents.&nbsp; Therefore, I th=
ough it would be interesting to see what the group has done in their work ar=
eas.<br>
Does anyone have anything else that keep around that they feel is helpful fo=
r shop area/garage safety?<br>
Paul Ricco<br>
ot@autox.team.net</a><br>
"_blank">http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br>
rrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a> <a href=3D"http://w=
ww.team.net/pipermail/fotUnsubscribe/Manage" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" t=
arget=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot<br>
/jsukey@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://au=
tox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/jsukey@gmail.com</a><br>
br><span>Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermai=
blockquote></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail-E5771CF0-CA2D-4D97-A460-F0181DA3CD1D--

--===============1000019408593010283==

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

--===============1000019408593010283==--