fot

Re: [Fot] Shop Safety Question

To: Friends Of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Shop Safety Question
From: Phil Gott via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2021 07:13:52 -0500

--Apple-Mail-1C56E745-A03D-4B64-9BDE-DB960573261D
        charset=utf-8

Good advice, all of it.
In addition to a large extinguisher near each exit door I have an open 5 gal=
lon bucket filled 2/3 with water. Great for dousing fires and for dunking/te=
mpering hot pieces off the grinding wheel. Faster response than a hose or ev=
en an extinguisher. Used it when I set the grass affire outside my barn whil=
e grinding on my trailer. Yikes!
Phil

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 16, 2021, at 6:42 PM, Bob Bownes -Seiri via Fot <fot@autox.team.net=
> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
>=20
> Sounds a bit silly, but a broom. =20
>=20
> Keeping the floor clean cuts down on slips and trips, which OSHA says are s=
ome of the most common causes of liability claims.=20
>=20
> Bi-focal safety glasses for those of us over a certain age. Keeps you from=
 taking them off to see better.=20
>=20
> The usual assortment of fire extinguishers of course.=20
>=20
> And a phone to call for help. :)
>=20
>=20
>=20
>>> On Jan 16, 2021, at 15:38, Jason Sukey via Fot <fot@autox.team.net> wrot=
e:
>>>=20
>> =EF=BB=BF
>> Paul,=20
>> Beyond the "minimum code requirement" extinguisher's that get inspected a=
nd tagged annually, I also keep a 2.5 gallon pressurized AFFF extinguisher a=
nd a 2.5 gallon water extinguisher charged and ready at my shop.
>>=20
>> The township fire inspector recommend the AFFF for fuel and oil type fire=
s, and he also stated it can be used to pre-treat a fuel spill while you cle=
an it up to reduce the chances of a fire starting.=20
>>=20
>> He also recommended the water extinguisher near my welding area to knock d=
own small flare ups.
>>=20
>> I also make it a point to never leave until any welding or grinding work h=
as cooled completely.
>>=20
>> I also disconnect the battery in vehicles during storage.
>>=20
>>=20
>> When draining or filling a fuel tank, I roll the vehicle outside if possi=
ble.
>>=20
>> Thankfully, I've never had a chance to test any of these items!
>>=20
>> Jason
>>=20
>>> On Sat, Jan 16, 2021, 1:32 PM Paul Ricco via Fot <fot@autox.team.net> wr=
ote:
>>> FOT,
>>>=20
>>> I have been lucky to work in some very well run industrial environments w=
ith world class safety equipment.  As we know, the stuff costs money and a l=
ot of people work without most of it in their own environments.
>>>=20
>>> We have been updating a lot of items in the areas that we work on car an=
d car parts.  It is fun to spend money on tools and equipment.  However, saf=
ety equipment is not always as fun.  Near where we live, two pretty smart pe=
ople have had fires damage their garages and parts of their houses before th=
e fire department could arrive.  While I was running large car dealerships a=
nd body shops, I can tell you that fire extinguishers did need to be used fr=
om time to time.  Fortunately we had them and never needed to make a call to=
 the fire department, because the right things were in the right places.
>>>=20
>>> Therefore, we just upgraded all of our safety equipment.  Including:
>>>=20
>>> 1.  Splatter/spark screens for areas that we weld or grind
>>> 2.  High quality US made fire extinguishers with plenty of capacity, inc=
luding mounting them in the the trailer for at the track.  Some fires can be=
 spread really quickly by hitting the with H20.  Generally speaking water wi=
ll not put out burning oil fire.  However, it will spread the burning oil al=
l over really quickly.
>>> 3.  Spark resistant blankets for use when we are welding in areas that t=
hings should be covered
>>> 4.  Making sure all flammables are stored safely and away from areas tha=
t could have sparks
>>> 5.  New and updated smoke detectors, heat sensors and Carbon Monoxide mo=
nitors where they can be used (not where we tune engines)
>>>=20
>>> Obviously common sense can prevent a lot of accidents.  Therefore, I tho=
ugh it would be interesting to see what the group has done in their work are=
as.
>>>=20
>>> Does anyone have anything else that keep around that they feel is helpfu=
l for shop area/garage safety?
>>>=20
>>> Paul Ricco
il.com
>>>=20
>>>=20
.com
>>=20
>>=20
.com
>=20
>=20

--Apple-Mail-1C56E745-A03D-4B64-9BDE-DB960573261D
        charset=utf-8

 large extinguisher near each exit door I have an open 5 gallon bucket fille=
d 2/3 with water. Great for dousing fires and for dunking/tempering hot piec=
es off the grinding wheel. Faster response than a hose or even an extinguish=
er. Used it when I set the grass affire outside my barn while grinding on my=
 PM, Bob Bownes -Seiri via Fot &lt;fot@autox.team.net&gt; wrote:<br><br></bl=
p-equiv=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><div dir=3D"=
wn on slips and trips, which OSHA says are some of the most common causes of=
-focal safety glasses for those of us over a certain age. Keeps you from tak=
"ltr">The usual assortment of fire extinguishers of course.&nbsp;</div><div d=
blockquote type=3D"cite">On Jan 16, 2021, at 15:38, Jason Sukey via Fot &lt;=
cite"><div dir=3D"ltr">=EF=BB=BF<div dir=3D"auto">Paul,&nbsp;<div dir=3D"aut=
o">Beyond the "minimum code requirement" extinguisher's that get inspected a=
nd tagged annually, I also keep a 2.5 gallon pressurized AFFF extinguisher a=
nd a 2.5 gallon water extinguisher charged and ready at my shop.</div><div d=
d the AFFF for fuel and oil type fires, and he also stated it can be used to=
 pre-treat a fuel spill while you clean it up to reduce the chances of a fir=
 recommended the water extinguisher near my welding area to knock down small=
t a point to never leave until any welding or grinding work has cooled compl=
r><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sat, J=
an 16, 2021, 1:32 PM Paul Ricco via Fot &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team=
quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1e=
x">FOT,<br>
I have been lucky to work in some very well run industrial environments with=
 world class safety equipment.&nbsp; As we know, the stuff costs money and a=
 lot of people work without most of it in their own environments.<br>
We have been updating a lot of items in the areas that we work on car and ca=
r parts.&nbsp; It is fun to spend money on tools and equipment.&nbsp; Howeve=
r, safety equipment is not always as fun.&nbsp; Near where we live, two pret=
ty smart people have had fires damage their garages and parts of their house=
s before the fire department could arrive.&nbsp; While I was running large c=
ar dealerships and body shops, I can tell you that fire extinguishers did ne=
ed to be used from time to time.&nbsp; Fortunately we had them and never nee=
ded to make a call to the fire department, because the right things were in t=
he right places.<br>
Therefore, we just upgraded all of our safety equipment.&nbsp; Including:<br=

1.&nbsp; Splatter/spark screens for areas that we weld or grind<br>
2.&nbsp; High quality US made fire extinguishers with plenty of capacity, in=
cluding mounting them in the the trailer for at the track.&nbsp; Some fires c=
an be spread really quickly by hitting the with H20.&nbsp; Generally speakin=
g water will not put out burning oil fire.&nbsp; However, it will spread the=
 burning oil all over really quickly.<br>
3.&nbsp; Spark resistant blankets for use when we are welding in areas that t=
hings should be covered<br>
4.&nbsp; Making sure all flammables are stored safely and away from areas th=
at could have sparks<br>
5.&nbsp; New and updated smoke detectors, heat sensors and Carbon Monoxide m=
onitors where they can be used (not where we tune engines)<br>
Obviously common sense can prevent a lot of accidents.&nbsp; Therefore, I th=
ough it would be interesting to see what the group has done in their work ar=
eas.<br>
Does anyone have anything else that keep around that they feel is helpful fo=
r shop area/garage safety?<br>
Paul Ricco<br>
ot@autox.team.net</a><br>
"_blank">http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br>
rrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a> <a href=3D"http://w=
ww.team.net/pipermail/fotUnsubscribe/Manage" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" t=
arget=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/fot<br>
/jsukey@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://au=
tox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/jsukey@gmail.com</a><br>
br><span>Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermai=

--Apple-Mail-1C56E745-A03D-4B64-9BDE-DB960573261D--

--===============6441161507476551120==

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

--===============6441161507476551120==--