fot

Re: [Fot] Shop Safety Question

To: Jerry Van Vlack <jerryvv@roadrunner.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Shop Safety Question
From: Bob Kramer via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2021 08:28:45 -0600
Cc: Friends Of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>

--Apple-Mail-8A43B4C8-6A4C-449D-B169-77F84A2FC05E
        charset=utf-8

Band Aids? Those are for the house. A strip of paper towels held in place by=
 electrical tape is the shop solution.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 17, 2021, at 7:29 AM, Jerry Van Vlack via Fot <fot@autox.team.net> w=
rote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
> My lighthearted contribution to this important thread.
> Band Aids, lots of Band Aids seems I=E2=80=99m always cutting or poking my=
self with something sharp. Tylenol for the aches and pain of age related thi=
ngs maybe I shouldn=E2=80=99t be doing.
> =20
ys have tweezers, a mirror and a magnifying glass handy.
> =20
> No matter how tightly I wear safety glasses, I ALWAYS manage to drop somet=
hing rusty in my eye. (I don=E2=80=99t only work on a clean race car. (Curre=
ntly, it=E2=80=99s a =E2=80=9867 Jeepster Convertible). Cotton swabs and a m=
irror save the day.
> =20
> The tweezers become necessary because WHENEVER I=E2=80=99m grinding welds,=
 suddenly there is an irritation inside my glove and I=E2=80=99ve got to tra=
ck down the splinter with the magnifier and pull it out with the tweezer. Ah=
hh, sweet relief! Must be those HF splinter magnet gloves.
> =20
> (Of course, if my welding skills were a little better I wouldn=E2=80=99t h=
ave to grind...=F0=9F=91=8D)
> =20
> =20
> Rick McCurdy
> Newburgh, NY
>=20
>> On Jan 17, 2021, at 7:14 AM, Phil Gott via Fot <fot@autox.team.net> wrote=
:
>>=20
>> =EF=BB=BFGood advice, all of it.
>> In addition to a large extinguisher near each exit door I have an open 5 g=
allon bucket filled 2/3 with water. Great for dousing fires and for dunking/=
tempering hot pieces off the grinding wheel. Faster response than a hose or e=
ven an extinguisher. Used it when I set the grass affire outside my barn whi=
le grinding on my trailer. Yikes!
>> Phil
>>=20
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>=20
>>> On Jan 16, 2021, at 6:42 PM, Bob Bownes -Seiri via Fot <fot@autox.team.n=
et> wrote:
>>>=20
>>> =EF=BB=BF
>>> =20
>>> Sounds a bit silly, but a broom.=20
>>> =20
>>> Keeping the floor clean cuts down on slips and trips, which OSHA says ar=
e some of the most common causes of liability claims.
>>> =20
>>> Bi-focal safety glasses for those of us over a certain age. Keeps you fr=
om taking them off to see better.
>>> =20
>>> The usual assortment of fire extinguishers of course.
>>> =20
>>> And a phone to call for help. :)
>>> =20
>>> =20
>>>=20
 and tagged annually, I also keep a 2.5 gallon pressurized AFFF extinguisher=
 and a 2.5 gallon water extinguisher charged and ready at my shop.
res, and he also stated it can be used to pre-treat a fuel spill while you c=
lean it up to reduce the chances of a fire starting.
s with world class safety equipment.  As we know, the stuff costs money and a=
 lot of people work without most of it in their own environments.
nd car parts.  It is fun to spend money on tools and equipment.  However, sa=
fety equipment is not always as fun.  Near where we live, two pretty smart p=
eople have had fires damage their garages and parts of their houses before t=
he fire department could arrive.  While I was running large car dealerships a=
nd body shops, I can tell you that fire extinguishers did need to be used fr=
om time to time.  Fortunately we had them and never needed to make a call to=
 the fire department, because the right things were in the right places.
ncluding mounting them in the the trailer for at the track.  Some fires can b=
e spread really quickly by hitting the with H20.  Generally speaking water w=
ill not put out burning oil fire.  However, it will spread the burning oil a=
ll over really quickly.
onitors where they can be used (not where we tune engines)
hough it would be interesting to see what the group has done in their work a=
reas.
ful for shop area/garage safety?
ol.com
>>>=20
>>>=20
com
>>=20
>>=20
runner.com
>=20
>=20
ail.com
>=20
>=20

--Apple-Mail-8A43B4C8-6A4C-449D-B169-77F84A2FC05E
        charset=utf-8

utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">Band Aids? Those are for the house. A strip=
 of paper towels held in place by electrical tape is the shop solution.<br><=
e type=3D"cite">On Jan 17, 2021, at 7:29 AM, Jerry Van Vlack via Fot &lt;fot=
e"><div dir=3D"ltr">=EF=BB=BF

 myself with=20
something sharp. Tylenol for the aches and pain of age related things maybe I=
=20
shouldn=E2=80=99t be doing.</div>
libri&quot;; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; DISPLA=
Y: inline">
">Rick=20
McCurdy via Fot</a> </div>

libri&quot;; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; COLOR: #000000; FONT-STYLE: normal; DISPLA=
Y: inline">
rements,=20
I always have tweezers, a mirror and a magnifying glass handy.</div>
e to=20
drop something rusty in my eye. (I don=E2=80=99t only work on a clean race c=
ar.=20
(Currently, it=E2=80=99s a =E2=80=9867 Jeepster Convertible). Cotton swabs a=
nd a mirror save the=20
day.</div>
rinding welds,=20
suddenly there is an irritation inside my glove and I=E2=80=99ve got to trac=
k down the=20
splinter with the magnifier and pull it out with the tweezer. Ahhh, sweet=20=

relief! Must be those HF splinter magnet gloves.</div>
ldn=E2=80=99t=20
have to grind...=F0=9F=91=8D)</div>
n 5=20
  gallon bucket filled 2/3 with water. Great for dousing fires and for=20
  dunking/tempering hot pieces off the grinding wheel. Faster response than a=
=20
  hose or even an extinguisher. Used it when I set the grass affire outside m=
y=20
  barn while grinding on my trailer. Yikes!</div>
ia=20
hich=20
    OSHA says are some of the most common causes of liability claims. </div>=

ge.=20
    Keeps you from taking them off to see better. </div>
/div>
=20
      inspected and tagged annually, I also keep a 2.5 gallon pressurized AFF=
F=20
      extinguisher and a 2.5 gallon water extinguisher charged and ready at m=
y=20
      shop.</div>
ype=20
      fires, and he also stated it can be used to pre-treat a fuel spill whi=
le=20
      you clean it up to reduce the chances of a fire starting. </div>
o=20
      knock down small flare ups.</div>
ng=20
      work has cooled completely.</div>
f=20
      possible.</div>
div>
ul Ricco via=20
EFT: #ccc 1px solid; MARGIN: 0px 0px 0px 0.8ex">FOT,<br><br>I=20
        have been lucky to work in some very well run industrial environment=
s=20
        with world class safety equipment.&nbsp; As we know, the stuff costs=
=20
        money and a lot of people work without most of it in their own=20
        environments.<br><br>We have been updating a lot of items in the are=
as=20
        that we work on car and car parts.&nbsp; It is fun to spend money on=
=20
        tools and equipment.&nbsp; However, safety equipment is not always a=
s=20
        fun.&nbsp; Near where we live, two pretty smart people have had fire=
s=20
        damage their garages and parts of their houses before the fire=20
        department could arrive.&nbsp; While I was running large car dealers=
hips=20
        and body shops, I can tell you that fire extinguishers did need to b=
e=20
        used from time to time.&nbsp; Fortunately we had them and never need=
ed=20
        to make a call to the fire department, because the right things were=
 in=20
        the right places.<br><br>Therefore, we just upgraded all of our safe=
ty=20
        equipment.&nbsp; Including:<br><br>1.&nbsp; Splatter/spark screens f=
or=20
        areas that we weld or grind<br>2.&nbsp; High quality US made fire=20=

        extinguishers with plenty of capacity, including mounting them in th=
e=20
        the trailer for at the track.&nbsp; Some fires can be spread really=20=

        quickly by hitting the with H20.&nbsp; Generally speaking water will=
 not=20
        put out burning oil fire.&nbsp; However, it will spread the burning o=
il=20
        all over really quickly.<br>3.&nbsp; Spark resistant blankets for us=
e=20
        when we are welding in areas that things should be covered<br>4.&nbs=
p;=20
        Making sure all flammables are stored safely and away from areas tha=
t=20
        could have sparks<br>5.&nbsp; New and updated smoke detectors, heat=20=

        sensors and Carbon Monoxide monitors where they can be used (not whe=
re=20
        we tune engines)<br><br>Obviously common sense can prevent a lot of=20=

        accidents.&nbsp; Therefore, I though it would be interesting to see w=
hat=20
        the group has done in their work areas.<br><br>Does anyone have anyt=
hing=20
        else that keep around that they feel is helpful for shop area/garage=
=20
        safety?<br><br>Paul=20
        Ricco<br>_______________________________________________<br><a rel=3D=
://www.fot-racing.com" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http:=