GEEZ!, Equal cars and Drivers

To: geez@autox.team.net
Subject: GEEZ!, Equal cars and Drivers
From: Todd Green <tag@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 13:44:20 -0600
Hey all,

Well the list has been surprisingly quite given the the autox season is
in full bloom.  Anyway, I just did the Lemoore Pro last weekend, and
have my best right side run at (the left is virtually identical):

     http://www.cs.utah.edu/~tag/scca/lemoore/lemoore_right.jpg

For those who already have GEEZ, the .gcd and .ini file are at:

    http://www.cs.utah.edu/~tag/scca/lemoore/lemoore.zip

So, GEEZ says that I had a 99% in utilization, aggressiveness and usage,
and a 90% in smoothness.  However Tunnell still crushed my time by .7
seconds.  Our cars are very similiar (his is ~130 lbs lighter, has 9"
wheels, and slightly different spring rates.)  That might buy him a
couple of 10ths, but most of it had to be driver.

I've specifically been focusing on being agressive this year and GEEZ
seems to reflect this, but I'm beginning to think I've reached the limit
on how far just raw pushing it can take me.

My theory is that aggressiveness will take you to a certain level at
which you'll plateau.  Only by being smoother can you keep the car
settled and put the power down (in a relatively high horsepower RWD
car) and ultimately generate more grip for better times.

Thus my corollary is that even though I'm being scored at 99%, that
rating is based on the peak and sustained values I can generate.  If you
were to put Bob in my car, his G's would be even higher and thus my
ratings would go down in comparison.

Hopefully Bob will have GEEZ at the next event so I can find out.

Thoughts?
Todd