Re: GEEZ!, Equal cars and Drivers

To: geez@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GEEZ!, Equal cars and Drivers
From: "Mark J. Bradakis" <mjb@phase.cs.utah.edu>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 01:53:11 -0600 (MDT)
Didn't Byron write up something on how "the line" affects one's time in
a recent NAP?  I know that somewhere around here I've got that stack of
back issues Todd borrowed...

I don't yet have the instrumentation (i.e. haven't bought a G cube yet)
but I believe the slow parts of the course are where you go fast.  Say
you are going around a 180 degree pin turn, at 15 miles per hour at the
slowest.  15 mph is 22 feet per second.  Stand up, stretch out your arms,
and contemplate that at 15 mph it takes two or three tenths of a second
to travel from your left fingertips to your right fingertips.  It only takes
two places on course where you mess up by that much [holding arms out] to
make a half second difference.

Okay, so maybe there aren't two places where you accumulate an extra ten or
twenty feet, but perhaps ten places where you go a foot or two farther than
you need to.  Of course, none of this matters, since now that he's getting
the hang of it, my poor little Spitfire will have a hell of a time catching
Todd and his M3!

mjb.