Re: GEEZ!, Equal cars and Drivers

To: geez@autox.team.net, Ghsharp@aol.com
Subject: Re: GEEZ!, Equal cars and Drivers
From: Jonathan Roberts <jorober5@vt.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 20:45:48 -0400
At 03:33 PM 5/5/00 -0600, you wrote:
>>to a faster time.  Bob is likely taking a better *line* than you are in some
>>places, and getting through certain parts of the course quicker than you
>>even though you're pulling higher "numbers" in those areas.
>
>Bob and I walked the course together about 10 times.  We shared where
>each of us were running and we were pretty much running the exact same
>line (we also talked about car attitude at key points, where we were
>getting on the throttle, etc. etc.)  (From externally watching him, he
>also seemed to be running very much the same line as me.)  Now if you
>are talking about who executed the plan better....well the times answer
>that story ;)  That is not to say that there may have been subtle
>differences in the lines that accounted for the times.

I am in complete agreement that the line is the one thing that GEEZ has a
difficult time accounting for.  I have seen at least one instance where
"co-drivers" of the same car (also walking the course together, sharing
strategies, etc.) had similar results.  One person had much better numbers
but was about 1 second slower.  When you got a really good look at the line
by pulling the two runs up next to one another, it was obvious that the
slower driver had pushed the limits better (resulting in better numbers),
but the faster driver had driven a better line.  FWIW, the "peak" numbers
were about the same, so in this case the "peaks" weren't the deciding
factor of numbers.  I think both drivers were finding the limits, one was
just finding them in the more opportune places

Jonathan Roberts