Re: Multi-Lap GEEZ Software now shipping

To: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Multi-Lap GEEZ Software now shipping
From: Byron Short <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 17:03:17 -0700
Hey Dick, Bob, and everyone else out there,

I'm back!  Whew, nothing like a nice 4400 mile jaunt around
the countryside to make you ready for race season, heh?  The
new trailer is great though, and we'll be using it as a
classroom at many events this year.  We also intend to make
it a sort of GEEZ central at any National Tours or Pros we
go to, as well as at Nationals.  The back of the trailer
will be set up with tables and we may even have a few
laptops to use if you didn't bring your own.

Anyway, regarding your comments on the multi-lap software,
you have everything about right.  We are looking at
increasing the 25 minute barrier to probably 125 minutes for
a final limit.  I had originally expected that we'd be able
to just completely eliminate any recording limit, but that
doesn't appear to be in the cards at this time.  But the 2
hour limit (125 minutes) should be more than most racers
ever need.  Again, keep in mind that a 2meg palm will hold
about 4 hours of data; we are just talking about the single
run limit when we talk about 25 minutes or the upcoming 125
minute levels.

The Save feature is in fact disabled on a multi-lap run.
The reason is simple.  On a multi-lap run laps are defined
by using the define laps dialog and features.  This
effectively trims the front and back of each lap down to
include just the desire lap itself.  So there's no need to
save a "trimmed" copy of the run--instead you would just
re-define the lap differently if required.  In addition,
because the multi-lap scheme is to read a distance into the
file to find the start of each lap, if we were to allow a
cut and save, the new file size wouldn't line up with the
old lap definitions any more.  So we felt that not only is
it unnecessary to save a change to the run, but it also
would make a mess of your defined laps.  So we disable the
save function on multi-lap runs.

As always, thanks to those that covered for me while I was
out contemplating my windshield!

--Byron

Dick Rasmussen wrote:

> At 06:38 PM 2/4/01 -0800, Bob Monday wrote:
> >Does the multi-lap capability require a Palm, or will it also record
> >directly to the laptop?
> >
> >Bob Monday
>
> Bob,
>
> Since Byron may not be able to respond for a while, here is a quote from
> the readme file:
>
> "If you are recording with a PC running GEEZ you can record up to 16
> minutes and 40 seconds with this version. Better yet, if you are recording
> with a Palm computer, which we strongly recommend for road racing type
> events anyway, you can record and download up to 25 minutes. (In reality
> your Palm will record beyond 25 minutes, but the download to the PC will
> truncated the file at 25 minutes)."
>
> By the way, the Sebring file is on the Diskette 3 download file which must
> be downloaded separately unless Byron made a change since I asked early
> Sunday. There are seven clearly "sebring" files shown in the zip "directory".
>
> I've noticed, by the way, that the Save Dialog box doesn't function when in
> "multi-lap" mode. I suspect that this is on purpose, but Byron hasn't been
> available to answer yet. I used Windows Explorer to save and rename the
> Sebring.gcd file as recommended in the readme file. This saves the raw
> info, without all the adjustments that were made to break the data up into
> the separate laps as far as I could tell from a very quick review. The save
> dialog box opens if you switch back to single lap. In mult-lap it appears
> that "save" works, just without the dialog box and associated options.
>
> The "words above" are all that I know . . . or even think that I know about
> the multi-lap software:-)
>
> Dick Rasmussen
> CM 85
> 85 Van Diemen RF-85 Formula Ford