Re: Hot Problem

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Hot Problem
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 22:05:16 -0600
Charley,

I think that the volatility as measured by RVP varies from season to
season & state to state depending upon state environmental laws &
summer/winter temperature differences. A "typical standard" might be 7
psi summer - 13 psi winter. The CARB in California is especially picky
about evaporative emissions & tries to keep RVP as low as possible.

If you get stuck with winter gas on a hot day there may be some troubles
with vapor lock or carburetor boiling. This can easily happen with a
seasonally driven car where you fill up in late fall, store the car, &
take it out again on a hot spring day. You are stuck with having to run
out the whole tank before refilling with summer grade gas.

I agree with Bob about no correlation between RVP & octane.  Also that
aircraft have special requirements for RVP.

Dave Russell
BN2